Well today’s 100-degree temperatures broke that record and made me sorry I grumbled in the first place. My brave spouse left the safety of the shade to go fetch this week’s CSA share from the farmers market. What a guy!
I haven’t been very good about posting ideas to use up CSA veggies for the last few months, so I spent some time looking up some options for you. Feel free to add more in the comments!
- Sauteed lentils and butternut squash from Sprouted Kitchen
- Baked butternut frites from Suzie’s Farm CSA
- Eight ideas for butternut squash from TheKitchn
- This vegetable crumble from Matt Bites calls for eggplant, tomatoes, and zucchini, but I’m sure other veggies would work and be lovely.
- Roasted Eggplant Soup from Smitten Kitchen
- Cauliflower gratin from Chocolate and Zucchini
- Beautiful and simple Egyptian cauliflower salad from The Royal Kitchen
- Roasted cauliflower with lemon faux-aioli from the Nourish Network
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup is a favorite, even of the Veggie-Hating Husband
- He also likes Velvety Broccoli and Feta Pasta from theKitchn
- A refreshing salad idea for those 100-degree days from Mark Bittman
- Buttermilk Farro Salad is a recipe I’ve had bookmarked for months but haven’t yet made
- I might just eat the radishes with butter and salt, maybe some crusty bread. Snap peas are also great for snacking or stir-fry!
- This Soba Noodle Salad from FoodBlogga calls for chicken, but tofu would be a nice option
- Dana Treat’s Good Green Beans would work with snap peas, too
- I love this recipe for Napa cabbage so I’m putting it first.
- Hot and Sour Napa Cabbage and Soba with Napa Cabbage and Tofu are also tasty
- Make kimchi at home!
- Some chard ideas from the archives
- Another Bittman hit (sorry, KS!) that sounds like a nice change from my usual garlic-and-onion saute: Chard with Orange and Shallots
- All your beets are belong to us
- Raw Beet Salad from Bittman actually sounds refreshing (did I mention it was 100 degrees here today?)
- I’ve actually made Carrot and Beet Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette at least 3 times but have never blogged it. I’ll work on that.
- Smokey Beet Cake anyone? At Lucid Food.
- Oregano is a lovely match with eggplant. Dice eggplant and toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, and oregano. Roast in a 425F oven until brown and delicious.
- Oregano is also delicious with mushrooms (think pasta sauce) or in a nice herb vinaigrette.
- Sprouts make great garnishes for pretty much anything. I like to stuff them in pita bread with chickpea salad.
You don’t really need tomato recipes, do you? Whew! Good.
A diced onion, some broccoli florets, two handfuls of chopped snap peas, and some garlic went in a quick stir-fry for dinner tonight. That was as long as I could bear to turn on the stove. Then we walked a few blocks to the closest frozen yogurt shop and went for a stroll, yogurt in hand, in the tolerably-balmy evening.
Does your CSA run through late fall? Are you up to your ears in pumpkin?
Keep up with Little Blue Hen: get updates via email, subscribe through an RSS feed, connect on Facebook, or say hello on Twitter.
Comments? I love feedback and suggestions! Leave them below or email me.