As I mentioned in my last post, I’m participating in Project: Food Budget. This is the second round of the project. Emily invited me to participate last time, but trying to figure out a method of tracking my non-traditional approach to grocery shopping made my head explode.
This time, she convinced me. To make it work for me, I’m only posting every other week (or else it will be all CSA and P:FB all the time) on Thursday. Yes, I’m a day late — and a dollar short? We’ll see…
These last few weeks are a weird place to start. I’ve been to several potluck events, we ate out more than usual because of a short vacation, and I’ve been buying additional produce lately for my detox.
Here’s what I’ve figured out for our “normal” groceries despite the fact that I can’t find any useful receipts:
- Our CSA share just changed prices this week to $28 for a large box. Our share is bi-weekly, so that’s $14/week.
- I spend about $10 each week at the farmer’s market for fruit, give or take.
- We supplement with about 2 quick grocery runs per week that average $20-30 each.
- I stock up on organic bulk items through Azure Standard every few months: grains, beans, condiments, etc.
- I’m a vegetarian and my husband rarely eats meat at home.
- My husband only eats breakfast at home the majority of the week because of his work schedule. He eats lunch and dinner at work which is provided.
- I work at home and eat all three meals here.
My goal for this week is to collect all our grocery receipts and have an accurate tally. That will give me a starting point to maintain or reduce our spending.
Could I have done this a few weeks ago? Yes.
Did I do it? No.
So that will be my first task for Project: Food Budget. I have to go at my own pace here, people!
What are your food budget challenges? What are you interested in learning from this challenge?
Check out the other blogs participating in the challenge:
- Emily Levenson
- Dairy-Free Cooking
- Test Kitchen Tuesday
- Red Pen Mama
- Acquired Tastes
- Fit Flexitarian
- Warm As Pie
- Katy Rank Lev
- My Inner Healthy
- Little Blue Hen
- xox, b
- What da Health?
- Project Food Budget 2.0
- Ignition Nutrition
- A Nice Heart and a White Suit
- Because Hobbies Happen
- Primary Focus Health Coaching