If you’re thinking of homemade holiday gifts, this is a fun and festive option. It involves the seasonally appropriate ingredients of cranberries (pretty!) and alcohol (coping mechanism!) to power through the holiday season.
You’ll need: cranberries, vodka, sugar, water, and jars. I made a double batch which was way more than we needed since we barely knew anyone nearby to give it away.
First you need to make a simple syrup. Sugar, water, heat, done! Hooray! Let it cool while you prep the rest.
Blitz up a package of cranberries in the food processor until decently smashed.
Stir the cranberries, simple syrup, and vodka together.
Now comes the fun part. Put the mixture into jars, stick the jars in a dark cupboard, and leave them there for 3 weeks, shaking them every other day.
After 3 weeks, you strain out the solids and serve it up. We poured some into pretty glass bottles as gifts and saved some for ourselves. Our favorite methods are chilled in a cordial glass, or for dessert:
Are you making food gifts for the holidays this year?
Makes 4 1/2 cups
Adapted from Cooking Light
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh cranberries
- 3 cups vodka
- For simple syrup — Combine sugar and water in a saucepan. Stir over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Place cranberries in a food processor; process about 2 minutes until finely chopped.
- Mix cranberries, simple syrup, and vodka together in a large bowl.
- Pour mixture into clean jars and secure lids. Set in a cool, dark place for 3 weeks, shaking them every other day.
- After 3 weeks, strain out solids in a fine sieve or colander lined with cheesecloth and discard. Pour liqueur into clean bottles or jars. Store for up to a year at room temperature or in the refrigerator.