Back in April 2009 in a fit of boredom and naive optimism I started this blog. Here we are two years, 480 posts, and 46,000 visitors later.
While the focus of the blog has changed (like I actually decided on one), I’m happy with how far it has come. I’ve made some wonderful blogging and Twitter friends, started on a new career path, and eaten a lot of food.
The occasion seems like a good time to set some blogging goals for myself.
- Post regularly again. While I needed to cut myself a lot of slack in the last few months, I miss having more content and interaction. That starts this week!
- Focus on vegetarianism. I try not to be a preachy vegetarian, but I get a lot of questions about eating less meat, vegetarian nutrition, and budget cooking. I’m working on some “vegetarian basics” posts that I hope you’ll find helpful.
- Feature some basics. While I know some of the recipes here are more complex than others, I’ve had some readers say that they’re not confident about some of the steps that I consider staple techniques in my kitchen. I’ll try to change that.
I also want your suggestions and requests. But first, a quick look back.
By popularity, here are the top 5 posts in the last year:
If you haven’t tried the black bean burgers yet, you’re missing out. I make them all the time and they’re fantastic. Just saying. The rest of them are good, too.
The next year’s recipes I hope will inspire you to try something new, whether that’s a new food, a new technique, or a new commitment to healthy home cooking. My favorite part of writing this blog is hearing from you, your comments and emails, telling me that you tried something you saw here and loved it.
My second favorite part of this blog is how it pushes me to try new things so I can post them for you. Look for some new dishes coming up by request — my first foray into Korean food.
To help motivate you — and me — I also wanted to kick off my third year of blogging with a little giveaway. After my recent post from the sneak peek version, I decided to start by offering up a copy of Heidi Swanson’s new cookbook, Super Natural Every Day: Well-loved Recipes from My Natural Foods Kitchen.
No freebies in sight, I just want to show my appreciation for your readership by buying you a shiny new cookbook paid out of my own pocket and the goodness of my heart. I might even order myself a copy at the same time.
- U.S. residents only, please (sorry, I have to pay shipping!)
- Entry period ends Saturday, April 30, 2011 at 11:59pm PST — GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED
- Winner will be announced Sunday, May 1
THREE WAYS TO WIN
- Leave a comment on this post telling me what you want to see on Little Blue Hen this year
- Tweet about the giveaway using: Win a copy of Super Natural Cooking Every Day from @stacyblue http://ow.ly/4G53i #giveaway
- “Like” Little Blue Hen on Facebook, then leave a comment here telling me you did. Sorry, early-adopters, new likes only.
Thank you again for visiting me here! I’m looking forward to your feedback, and to the next year of this blog.